FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Priceline guests get a bad rap? How to fix?
Old Apr 6, 2010, 3:59 am
lo2e
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by jackal
Debit card customres are MUCH more likely to be problematic than credit card customers. While there are many exceptions, generally, someone who only has a debit card only has a debit card because they cannot get a credit card (whereas it's really easy to get a bank account). That is, they tend to have a shoddy credit history, which is usually representative of general irresponsibility.

These people also tend to live paycheck-to-paycheck, meaning that there is often not much in the way of excess funds in their account. This can make it hard to charge for extensions--or even more importantly, damages or incidentals, which is doubly bad because these kinds of things tend to happen more with irresponsible people.
Sorry to take this thread slightly OT, but this post strikes me as extremely ignorant... what data do you have to suggest any of the above? Or is it just a blind assumption?

I have debit cards because I want to use real money and not credit, and ditto for many other people I know. That's my choice and the choice of a lot of others. And what exactly is the relationship between having a debit card and living paycheck-to-paycheck? Again, myself and lots of others I know don't fit into that category.

And yes, I have one credit card that I ONLY use at hotel check-ins (hardly ever pay anything for incidentals) and to secure car rentals (pay at the end with my debit card).