FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will BD implement a new award redemption rate?
Old Apr 4, 2010, 4:11 pm
GoldCircle

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Well, we've seen the call centre talk to customers about forthcoming changes in the past and those changes became reality. I think pappa LH has had its thinking hat on...

My guess, on the basis of a considerable number of recent reports along the lines of "I can see X on ANA, but the ICC can't", only to be followed 24/48/72 hours later by those seats materialising, is that there will be a system much like Flying Blue uses for standard, flex and dump the crap availability - namely standard miles, if seats available, double miles for unlimited availability to Gold members and where a route is dying on its feet, reduced costs. It might even open up SQ seats.

Alternatively, there might be a reduction in costs for Silver and Gold members as a perk,(or more likely, the converse no increase for those with BIS status) given that current bmi tiers offer almost nothing for bmi flyers (apart from the 55k mularky, that is). This means that the general redemption table for Blues will see an increase in cost - mostly to take out all those people with vast numbers of AmEx miles. Given how much they are pushing the card (ie getting MBNA to hand over cold hard cash to the airline in return for those miles) and how successful the card has been in the market place, this makes perfect sense in terms of rationalising the shocking balance sheet, without alienating people who actually fly on planes to the extent that they are valuable.