FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flight Attendant integration update
View Single Post
Old Apr 2, 2010, 8:10 pm
NMFH

Originally Posted by cwe84
Just an update on F/A integration:

The National Mediation Board decided on 3/12 that Midwest (YX) and Republic Airlines/Shuttle America/Chautauqua (RW/S5/RP) would be considered one airline and Frontier/Lynx (F9/L3) would be considered another for the purposes of integration. After that decision all unions that wanted to be considered to represent the Flight Attendant work groups had 2 weeks to file signed representation cards from 35% of the respective group. The deadline was 3/26 and no other union filed to represent the YX/RW/S5/RP group so that group will stay with Teamsters and has a 2 year block (with one exception) from another representation filing. The exception is in a single carrier status filing to unite the work groups again which can be filed by either F/A group.

The F/A's at F9 have the opportunity to select their representation during an upcoming election. L3 already is represented by AFA but doesn't currently have a contract. Both Teamsters and AFA both filed with at least the 35% of signature cards and are currently being certified by the NMB. The process can take a while as it is a very labor intensive process that compares the signature sample that was provided by the company and the signed card. An election could come as early as May.

The former YX F/A’s that are currently working at RW/S5/RP and F9 will retain their “slot” on the YX seniority list until after integration. If they are at RW/S5/RP after integration they will have to decide which slot is preferred and they will be moved accordingly. If they are at F9 they will have to decide if they want to stay with F9 and give up the integrated slot or wait until an opening at RW/S5/RP becomes available and be recalled. They will have to decided when they are recalled what they would like to do.

Back to the YX F/A's. Hopefully the NMB will decide quickly on the Flight Attendants seniority/pay integration. Arbitration was the only choice to integrate YX F/A's into the RW/S5/RP list. Remember a third party government agency is deciding this not anyone at RAH or Teamsters will have any say in how they will be integrated but all sides will be able to express their opinion on what is fair and equitable. I do not know who will be representing the former YX F/A’s as I believe (I am only going on what I have been told by friends within AFA) that AFA will not represent them after this point. I do know that RAH’s and Teamsters Airline Division attorneys will be representing their respective groups.

Also Teamsters will begin negotiating the contact. That will begin hopefully in May.

I wish all the Former YX F/A’s well and the ones that I have met do not blame RAH F/A’s or Pilots for what happened they blame TH, just a cookie for thought…
AFA lawyers will continue to see through the two arbitrations until they are complete. This includes seeing the YX FAs through seniority integration. I had not heard from YX FAs or AFA that seniority integration was sent to arbitration. I would not be surprised that YX FAs would seek arbitration. I find it hard to believe Teamsters would initate the move to arbitration.