FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - December T100's (onboard loads)
View Single Post
Old Mar 31, 2010, 1:47 pm
BlueHorseShoe2000

Originally Posted by knope2001
Here are onboard loads for Midwest and select MKE competitors for December 2010.
Thanks for posting this detail, knope.

First, some comments on the Midwest results:

1) Did MCI-RSW drop-off a cliff after December or what? Obviously the route started at a peak time, but loads were good. Why drop it down to only 1x weekly (when it was scheduled to go daily)?

2) GRR, MSP, DSM, and IND all saw decent loads in December, continuing a trend started a few months back. Some of the increase is attributable to the use of smaller aircraft (37 seat jets vs. 50 seat jets) and stimulation from lower fares caused by AirTran competition. GRR and MSP will be two markets to watch in the coming months. They are both strong Northwest legacy markets and the codeshare/frequent flier agreement helped Midwest fill more seats. I wonder how strong these markets will be once the Delta relationship ends this June.

3) CLE and SDF really seem to be struggling. I guess the only saving grace is the extortion prices Midwest charges on these routes. Several weeks ago I was pricing out a trip to CLE in August. Midwest wanted $809 nearly six months in advance. Yes, $809! I guess you don't have to fill many seats to make a profit at those fare levels.

As for AirTran, it looks like a mixed bag. The leisure routes were fairly strong but the business routes continue to be weak. Do these results have anything to do with AirTran toning down their gushing rhetoric on MKE in general? Then again, perhaps all of the commentary (MKE is a mature market, etc.) is a foreshadowing to an announcement that may be coming within the next couple of weeks