FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Insights on Seoul
View Single Post
Old Mar 31, 2010, 4:42 am
kamchatsky

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by tcook052
I have to remind myself how luck I am more often as I just confirmed a trip to Hong Kong & Seoul in late Sept. so wanted to ask forums regulars who've been to Seoul for any insights they can offer about transportation, museums, must-do sights, interesting off-the-beaten-path options, currency, language and other info for a first time visitor to Korea.

I've been to the Orient previously with visits to Hong Kong a couple of times, Osaka, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur and wanted to experience Seoul for myself so am staying 6 nights at two different Marriotts; the first four nights at an almost new Courtyard in the Yeongdeungpo district and the other two at the Renaissance which is in the Gangnam business district. The Courtyard was offered at such a low travel agent discount that it's too good to pass up bu the max stay at that rate is 4 nights, hence the need to move to the Ren for the last two nights.

I speak zero Korean but am not sure whether Seoul is an international enough city that many things are signed in English and whether I'm likely to encounter many language barriers.

Anyway, just curious to hear some feedback about Seoul from the experts here on FT as I start planning this trip.
Surpisingly your post has not been responded. There were petitions about setting up Korea as a sub-forum! I wonder where are the Korean supporters!

I went there once in 2005: Most signposts have English (as well as some Chinese characters for roads). Lot of international shops. In terms of language it can be hit and miss: Some speaks English (broken to good ones) and some have no idea.

Subway is good and comprehensive. Food can be quite cheap there too! But you would need to do some finger pointing at some cheap places.

I will be going there next month for 1 night on quick stopover, and is planning to stay in Myeong-dong (at Ibis, which somehow actually rated number 2 hotel in Seoul in tripadvisor!!!!!) where there are a lot of things happening. Gangnam is a business district so I am not sure how quiet it is at night. You will certainly need to catch the subway to go out at night.

I suggest you read Visit Korea website as below:

http://www.visitkorea.or.kr/intro.html

Seoul Main Attractions:

http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/...jsp?cid=256001