FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Vista > XP Downgrade for Lenovo X200
View Single Post
Old Mar 29, 2010, 12:30 pm
msb0b

Programs: Dirt
Originally Posted by Jonny Quick
3) At Lenovo's Driver download page. Someone somewhere mentioned something about installing some kind of automatic software to find, download and install all the drivers automatically. I read this after spending 3 hours trying to find them all one at a time. Unfortunately, the message I got from Lenovo when trying to run this tool was that it was only designed to be used with Windows 7. Might have been a glitch, and might work for someone else.
ThinkVantage System Update is the name. You probably downloaded version 4, which is for Windows 7 only. XP and Vista users should use version 3.14. It finds, downloads and installs all the drivers that you need. It's a great time saver.

WRT driver installation order, I always install the chipset driver first before the rest like display, network, etc. The chipset is the interconnect between CPU and all the devices, and the CPU needs to know how to access the interconnect before it can access the devices.

Originally Posted by Jonny Quick
7) Lessee, what else... Oh yeah, don't forget to install the software for the tablet stylus pen.
If your XP were tablet edition, the stylus would be supported out of the box. XP Tablet Edition was one level above Pro, and available only through OEM channels. If you run XP Pro with tablet driver, you won't have the Tablet Input Panel (TIP) and handwriting recognition. Nevertheless, the Wacom Penabled driver vastly improves on the built-in driver.

After using Vista and Win7 which include vast improvements to tablet functionalities, the XP Tablet feels primitive. I no longer use XP tablet and strongly advise against downgrade to XP tablet edition for this reason alone.