FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Transferring Diners Club [Canada] points to Aeroplan
Old Mar 27, 2010, 3:52 pm
Crampedin13A

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by sophia1
Thanks Mia and thebobmc for your handy replies - I will look into both suggestions. I fly out of YYC - Calgary Alberta. Alaska Airlines does fly out of here as do BA. I'm just trying to get rid of the DC points - don't use my DC card anymore but don'twant to close it out with those miles just sitting there when I am in need of them with either the Airmiles program or with Aeroplan.
I know that I can top up to the miles needed with DC but at 20,000 I don't have the required 50% of a ticket - ticket for a flight to Europe is 65,000, and then if you have only ½ the needed miles and top up with cash you are actually paying one heck of a lot for a ticket. I think it's a real shame that 1) you have to earn so great an amount of points to fly and 2) it takes so long to try and earn points. I think their program is well suited to business people that are flying contantly but the average old joe it takes forever to get there.
If you are thinking of going to Europe with BA I would transfer your DC miles into BAEC (1.25DC->1BA miles so roughly 16000BA miles) You could then plan a bit ahead and get a cheap WT+ fare on BA and use 12,500 miles to upgrade one way to CW on BA. Best use of BA miles nevermind for some orphaned DC points.