FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Grand Cypress Regency (Orlando) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Mar 26, 2010, 6:58 pm
martyYYZ

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I thought I would provide more detail for my stay.

When entering the hotel entrance by car, I was greeted by a security guard at a booth. It appears that only hotel guests are allowed in the hotel grounds although the area seemd pretty safe.

Upon checkin, I was offered a compementary glass of Champagne which I thought was a nice touch. I parked in self-parking which was a bit of a hike, but there is an entrance nearby downstairs so most of the walk was inside - maybe 5-7 minutes?

I was given an upgraded room with a pool/fireworks view with lounge access. The room was small but it was fine.

I am surprised by all of the negative comments about the lounge although I have never been to the original larger lounge. I would say it was roughly the size of the SFO Hyatt, maybe a little smaller - pretty small for this property but they did have a room across the hall to accommodate overflow and the food was decent and the drinks were free.

Evening lounge offering included:
warm ravioli and one other dish (don't remember - sliced sausage?, pasta?)
various breads/crackers
various cheeses
grilled vegetables
veggies and dip (3 dips)
various bread sticks
dried fruit
nut/pretzels,..
olive tray - red, green, and black
other items that I can't remember
no bottled water or soda which I thought was unusual - there was a self serve soda fountain for soft drinks
There was a decent self serve coffe/latte/expresso machine as well

dessert
various chocolates and cakes

All drinks (including beer,wine,alcohol) were free

2 PC's available in a separate area

one large screen TV usually showing CNN/news. There was also a TV in the overflow room.

Although I did not see the prior lounge, I would have to say that this is one of the best lounge offerings that I have seen throughout North America other than Hawaii and Gainey Ranch, although I have probably not been to as many Hyatts as most others here. As a comparison, this was much better than the offerings at Mission Bay, San Diego. I can't imagine how nice the former lounge must have been if it was better than this one, athough a larger lounge would be nicer.

The resort fee included:
9 hole golf course. Par 3 holes ranging from about 40 yards to 90 yards
Ping Pong
Paddle boats
bikes
probably other stuff I am not aware of

The golf course was really great. They give you a pitching wedge, a putter, and 2 balls and off you go to play 9 holes.

Although the room was average, I thought the lounge and various pools/activities around the resort made this a very good place to stay. Unfortunately, it rained during most of our stay so we didn't get to try nearly as many of the outside activities that we would have like to.

The resort fee was waived for my FFN stay.

The next time I'm in Florida, this will be my first choice.

Last edited by martyYYZ; Mar 26, 2010 at 7:17 pm