Old Mar 24, 10, 12:00 am
QF NB

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
I then finally caught up with the lovely Hotel driver, who I had been in email contact with prior to the trip. He was an excellent fellow, answering many questions and pointing out landmarks and points of interest along the way. It was a 50 to 60 minute drive to the InterContinental, mostly in dark and at speeds no greater than 40 kilometres per hour (damn roaming pets, including horses!).

InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort and Spa
Natadola Beach, Fiji

Wow – easily the best Hotel I have ever had the pleasure of staying at. All staff were consistently friendly, pre-emptive of one’s needs, professional and always showed a willingness to assist. I had long been advised that Fiji was the friendliest place on earth, and after having travelled there for the first time, it wasn’t hard to agree.

The Hotel offers a large number of room types. I was fortunate to experience a Beachfront Suite (thanks to an upgrade as an IC Platinum Ambassador). The complex was extremely spacious, modern and had everything you needed, including a Cleopatra bath (ok, I didn’t need that per se, but it was certainly a welcome addition!). The Hotel offers a number of bars and restaurants and good food, beverages and genuine service was always plentiful.

Check-in was a breeze, with the added touch of being sat down directly with the check-in agent (certainly beats standing as someone taps away at their computer). Pineapple juice and hot towels were also made available as part of the check-in experience, and while it was surprisingly not humid at all, after a lengthy day’s flying it was a welcome touch.

Cyclone Tomas was fast approaching Fiji and had already begun to wreak havoc in the north eastern and outer-lying parts of the Fijian Islands, alas already causing a fatality. There was a sense of the “calm before the storm”, with just a gentle breeze winding its way through the Hotel complex. I have already commended the staff (also advising senior IHG management) in terms of providing regular, in-depth and informative updates on the track of cyclone Tomas and the contingency plans in place for its forecasted arrival.

Please see various photos from the property below, ranging from the view from the room, the room itself and the stunning Natadola Beach and Island.

Natadola Beach and Island from my Room

Natadola Beach and Island from my Room – this time a little more obvious

InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort and Spa – beach volleyball court

Natadola Island

Natadola Island

Lovely isn’t it

One of the many man-made pools located within the complex

One of the restaurants

The luxurious King bed – damn it made for a good night’s sleep

Cleopatra bath – located on the balcony

Lots of vegetation = good, but can also = pain in the neck, especially if it has to be secured because of an impending cyclone

Looking towards the main Restaurant

A railway line passes through the Hotel

More of the property

Looking due west towards Australia – what a lovely sunset