FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bula – Fiji With Air Pacific & Qantas (+ Pics)
Old Mar 23, 2010, 11:58 pm
QF NB

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
Bula – Fiji With Air Pacific & Qantas (+ Pics)

“Give me a smile” is the title of Air Pacific’s latest advertising campaign, released December 2009. I was certainly smiling listening to the tune as I began making travel-related bookings back in February for what would my first trip to the much publicised and majestic Fiji Islands.

Before you continue reading, I ask that you please download and listen to Air Pacific’s “Give me a smile” tune as it really gets you into the Fiji holiday feeling and is certain to put a smile on your dial too!

Download - "Give me a smile"
And for further information about the campaign - click here.

Fiji comprises of 322 islands and is located in the South Pacific, a mere 3 to 4 hours flight from the east coast of Australia.

(Source - Claycritters)

As the itineraries started flowing through, the dreaded credit card balance started to swell, however I knew in the end it would all be worth it, and funnily enough, after a number of challenges along the way, it proved to be one of the most enjoyable holidays I have had the pleasure of taking.

Not being the type to fly nonstop, and given this was partially a status run, the following itinerary was booked

Brisbane – Melbourne
Melbourne – Sydney
Sydney – Nadi
Nadi – Sydney
Sydney – Brisbane

Now, enough of the preamble and on to the important stuff – the flying!

Saturday 13 March
Brisbane to Melbourne
QF601
VH-TJR – Boeing 737-400
Seat 1K

This sector was relatively empty, likely given it was Saturday and it was a scheduled OMG departure.

Today, Qantas 737-400 VH-TJR would carry me to Melbourne, and while the aircraft was relatively old, a recent refresh made it look a million dollars.

A hot Breakfast option was made available; however I opted for the Muesli, complimented with hot bakery items. The rest of the flight was uneventful, however an inquisitive friend began talking to the paxing FO also in J class and to our surprise found he would be operating our 767-300 service from Melbourne to Sydney.

Saturday 13 March
Melbourne to Sydney
QF418
VH-ZXA – Boeing 767-300
Seat 5K

With a relatively short transit, a quick visit to the Business Lounge was on the agenda. After a short stop it was time to go to the gate, to board ex-British Airways 767-300, VH-ZXA – the nasty aircraft without directional air vents (brrrrr). Given the much more appropriate departure of this service, it was a given the aircraft would be fuller, with just a few seats spare up the front.

The friendly Flight Attendants offered pre-departure drinks (which is the norm might I add) and we were on our way for a northerly departure from Melbourne. A newly-delivered Philippine Airlines 777-300ER made its presence felt as it rotated past us, on its short flight bound for Sydney (a continuation of MNL/MEL).

Given the departure time, a refreshment would be served – this consisted of a quiche and accompaniments. Honestly, this was one of the nicest meals I have had aboard a flight, even if it was on the small size.

A scenic flight was on offer, passing to the west of Canberra, before flying directly over Sydney Airport, out towards Bondi Beach, parallel with the coast, before a large left turn for a 16R approach – definitely one of the most peculiar, albeit scenic approaches I have had into Sydney. Upon arrival, it was a short walk to the International terminal transfer desk, and before I knew it, I was on the airside bus on my way to T1 (for those that have done this transfer, yes admittedly it can be painful and somewhat of an annoyance, but for the aerosexual, it’s a free airside tarmac tour, with an abundance of things to see).

Saturday 13 March
Sydney to Nadi
FJ910 – ticketed as QF391
DQ-FJL – Boeing 747-400
Seat 1K

After clearing Immigration and security, I met up with a Sydney-based best friend, who would be travelling with me (in Y class on staff travel). I waved goodbye to my two other friends, who proceeded to the Qantas First Lounge. My friend and I made our way to the perfectly adequate Qantas Business Lounge where for about 40 minutes we admired the view, caught up on one another’s lives and made use of the plentiful array of drinks and refreshments.

Our gate was adjacent to the where the Air Austral flight to St Denis would depart, and the cynic in me questioned the viability of this flight, however much to my surprise, added to the stunning and breathtaking flight attendants, was a rather busy gate area (yes, P&Y 101 determines that heavy loads does not necessarily lead to profitable flying).

My flight to Nadi was due to depart full in Tabua (Business) Class (28/28 seats), with about 125 empty seats in Economy. Priority boarding was given to Tabua class passengers, as well as elderly passengers and families with small children – akin to the boarding process of mainly airlines worldwide.

After what was a seemingly long walk to the Aircraft via the aerobridge, I saw the Senior Flight Attendant, flower-in-hair and all, welcoming passengers aboard the 747-400. After being given a loud and courteous “Bula” and genuine smile, I was directed to my seat in Tabua Class, 1K in Zone A. If you have ever had the opportunity to fly aboard Air Pacific’s 747-400 (or Ansett Australia’s/Singapore Airlines’), you would note that Zone A is extremely spacious given the lack of galley near door L1 (see below).

After a seemingly lengthy boarding time, we pushed back 2 minutes early and proceeded to 16R for a southerly departure. After a relatively quick rotation, I said goodbye to Sydney and the excitement truly began to set in.

Given I have promised photos, please see below (I will caption all photos and let this tell the story).

Spicy mix with drink – PTV has also been extended and offers loop-based entertainment.

Taken about 30 minutes after the departure from Sydney

Today’s starter – prawns and calamari on a bed of salad. It definitely tasted better than it looked.

Main – Fillet steak with vegetables. One of 3 options available (other options comprised of a vegetarian or chicken filo pasty dish). A wide array of drinks were available, including a select few Fijian alcoholic drinks.

Cheese platter

Cheese platter accompanied by a Fijian Immigration/Quarantine/Customs declaration form

About 1 hour away from Nadi

Getting close to Nadi – we had already begun our decent

The majestic main Island of Viti Levu

Welcome to Nadi Airport, Fiji

Air Pacific 747-400 DQ-FJL – part of a fleet of 2 747-400s

Nadi Airport has excellent, open paths to the aircraft, allowing for pictures such as this

After a short wait, the 747-400 load of passengers were processed by the bare-foot and seemingly sterile-faced Immigration officers (must just be a Immigration thing – happens in AU also!). While waiting, it was interesting to see the abundance of flights due to arrive in Nadi, including the FJ 737-800 service from Honolulu and Continental Micronesia’s new 737-800 service from Guam.

After waiting about 15 minutes for my supposedly “priority” checked baggage I knew the blindingly obvious had occurred – my baggage had been left in Sydney, and I was not the only one! The overwhelmed Air Pacific baggage services officer confirmed it had been left in Sydney and would be sent to my Hotel the following day (Sunday) after arriving on the next Sydney – Nadi 747-400 service. I can appreciate that situations like this do often arise, and as a prepared traveller, I had packed a supply of clothes in my hand luggage.