FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LHR T5 to ZRH then on to Wengen
View Single Post
Old Mar 19, 2010, 3:34 pm
botham

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by shaggy_mutt
One thing you can do next time you'll be riding various Swiss trains is to buy a Halbtax (half-fare card) which costs, I believe, 99SFr for a month. It gets you half fare on the trains, *and* discounts on a lot of other things. I had bought one when I was in Switzerland in '09, because I knew I'd be riding the trains a lot, but quickly learned to ask for a discount on practically everything with it. Cable-car up Pilatus? Yep. Bus ride up Bussalp? Yep. Boat around Lake Zurich? You got it.

Great photos btw! I have wonderful memories of my own visit to Grindelwald, both the town itself and the train to get to-and-from, and your TR brought them back. ^
Most of my train travel was accomplished with the Swiss Transfer ticket, which enables the purchaser to travel between their point of entry and their resort. I was able to travel outward via the scenic route from Lucerne and back on the faster route via Berne. By staying in Wengen, the Interlaken to Wengen route was included. The Swiss pass is also excellent value if travelling much, over a longer period.