FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA racial discrimination
View Single Post
Old Sep 29, 2001, 8:57 pm
FlyAAway

Programs: AA - Hilton
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Flyaway:
Posted by FlyAAway:

"The way Arabs in this country are being treated may be painful, but it is not wrong and certainly not predjudicial. We were attacked my a number of persons of Arab origin. They hated us and all we stand for. They are in fact our sworn enemies. Treating them as if they were normal, law-abiding citizens with a proven record of allegiance is not only inappropriate at this time, but perhaps even treasonous."

I wonder how different your post would be if you yourself were of Arab origin??

</font>
It might be no different, it might be very different. Are you of Arab origin? If so, perhaps you can shed some light.

When traveling in the Middle East, which I have done often and recently, I am extremely circumspect. I am not demanding or obnoxious, nor do I assume that anyone owes me anything including courtesy. There are facets of Arabic culture that I do not subscribe to or am philosophically opposed to, still I am respectful.

Respect is at the heart of my argument(s). People come to this country from all over the world, and expect their culture to take top billing over mine. I have friends from Sri Lanka who have been here for over 35 years and still dress as they did in their homeland. Why is that? Of course they are free to do as they please. I am free to think it a bit odd.

Oh, and they are Sri Lankan-Americans. Not Americans; Sri Lankan-Americans. I wonder how many American-Sri Lankans I could locate in Colombo? I think the entire concept is disrespectful. If everything about your country and culture are so wonderful, why ever did you leave? The level of tolerance toward this attitude is found nowhere else that I have traveled.