FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The New Membership Pack (Ugh!)
View Single Post
Old Mar 18, 2010, 4:03 am
sn1ke

Programs: LY Plat, BMI DC Gold, VS Gold, Hertz #1 Club Gold, Sixt Plat
Review of bmi Gold membership package

So, I re-qualified for Gold, and the package containing my new Gold card arrived yesterday. I haven't seen any reviews/information on it here recently, so I thought that I would share with people exactly what it contains (I'll try to put up pictures, but no promises).

It's a small black envelope, about the size of a postcard, but a lot thicker. On opening it up, there's a small black package inside, along with coupons for Europecar. There are four upgrade vouchers, each one valid for a one vehicle category upgrade when presented at the rental counter along with a valid DC membership card (note: It doesn't specify that the DC card needs to be a Gold card, so these should be able to be used by anyone with any level of DC membership. As well, there isn't anywhere on the voucher that contains my personal DC membership number - it's a generic voucher. Useful for giving to friends or relatives, perhaps).

The small black package that's inside the envelope is secured with a small Velco tab, and opens up to all four sides. It's very tastefully presented, with subdued black letters over the entire front showing various airport codes - quite a nice touch, IMO.
Inside this, shown immediately after opening, is the actual card. For Gold, this is a black card, saying 'Diamond Club' in the middle in gold letters, with the membership name/number in the bottom left, and the expiry date in the bottom right of the card. On the upper left of the card is the Star Alliance lofo, with the word 'Gold' underneath it.

There are then a series of 'flash cards' (each one the size of a postcard), spelling out the various benefits that a Gold member receives.
The one talking about the lounge in LHR T1 has been renamed (as noted in previous threads here) to 'The Great British Lounge'.
There is also some information on the Star Alliance, and the benefits that will be given on Star Alliance partners (such as extra luggage allowance when checking in, Premium Check-In etc)

There are no physical upgrade vouchers for bmi itself, but there is a card noting that the account has been credited with four complimentary upgrade vouchers for use during the membership year. These can be redeemed on bmi flights seven days in advance of departure (it notes that this applies only to bmi operated flights, and excludes bmibaby)

Another card gives information on 'Invite a friend'. This is when you read 55,000 membership status miles, you can apply (for free) for a Silver companion card, which you can give to a friend, and will give them all of the benefits of DC Silver.
Any membership status miles earned over 55,000 will be converted into destination miles.

At the back of the membership back, there are two luggage/suitcase tags. These look the same as the membership card, except that the orientation is vertical, and each one has a small hole at the top to be able to be tied to the luggage.

Overall, a very nice package IMO, and nothing too flashy!