FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LANGKAWI : Andaman vs Westin vs Sheraton
View Single Post
Old Mar 15, 2010, 2:41 pm
timc01

Just got back from LGK after a five night stay – with 3 nights at Westin and 2at Andaman

Westin
Was UG''d to Royal Suite at check-in. Front desk staff excellent. Lobby is fantastic, however rooms areas and rooms themselves look quite tired - carpeting in hallways in particular are in pretty poor condition.

Found pool area also less than expected and landscaping around the hotel not in good condition (although to be fair I understand they have had a heatwave). Lawns were very brown and worn. Pool also looks like it needs some maintenance (grout looking in poor condition).

Breakfast buffet was great. Evening meal at Tides was just OK, with only satisfactory service.

Andaman

Drove up to Andaman (cheap car hire at airport, about $100 for the five days). Loved the atmosphere and feel. Yes it's a long way from anywhere else (other than the Datai next door), but we just felt it was offering more of what we were looking for during our holiday.

Checked in and given Presidential Suite. Overall found the service, food, beach and grounds to be superb. Often I've found that when a hotel goes through a period of change (only became *wood recently), that service can suffer. But not here. Everything was excellent - especially recommend dinner at the Gulai House.

Bottom line - both hotels are nice, Westin has better location if you want to be closer to Kuah and outside restaurants but felt a little tired and in need of a good clean up and some money spent. Andaman has much more of a "classic" SE Asian feel about it, on the north side of the island and in the lush rainforest (plenty of monkeys!).

Would be happy to stay again at both - but I’d recommend the Andaman over the Westin by a fair margin.