FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Just made MVP GOLD!!! Need Info/Advice
View Single Post
Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:07 am
dave1013

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by jpmmracing
I'll take a stab at answering some of your questions. Welcome to the party, BTW!

Can someone give me a basic walk-thru of being a MVP-Gold gets you? Here's the web page that will give you the basic info.

How do the upgrades work?
That's a broad question and you'd probably get a different answer from everyone who frequents this board. It depends on your origin and destination, day of the week, etc., etc. Probably a lot of similarities to other frequent flyer plans. LAX to SEA is a pretty good bet for an upgrade. As an MVPG you get first dibs on upgrade-eligible seating 72 hours out (until the MVPG 75K's start showing up, then you'll take a back seat to them). It might be helpful to do a search and see what others have to say. This is a helpful thread, for starters.

Is the AS Boardroom Free? No, read all about it here.

Do companions get same benefits? If you have a companion flying with you on the same PNR, they can get upgraded along with you. If your companion is flying on a different record, you can call the Gold desk and have the upgrade benefit bestowed upon them. That's the only benefit I know of. If you join the Board Room you can guest up to 2 friends or family members - read the details on the previously-referenced web page. If you sign up for the Alaska Airlines Platinum Visa card you will get a companion coupon - you buy a ticket and your companion can go on the trip with you for $99 plus tax. A good deal for that transcon F or trip to Mexico or Hawaii.

Can I check 3 bags, etc?
Traveling within the state of Alaska, yes. That is a benefit that all enjoy traveling intrastate. Otherwise, as a Gold (or an MVP) you can check two bags for free. Here is the lowdown on checked baggage.

Thanks you guys rock!

BTW Does AS still serve redbull as well as Dr. Pepper? I don't think so on the Red Bull.