FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Driving into downtown Munich, returning rental at HBF
Old Mar 9, 2010, 11:56 am
mamb0

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets
Yes, I've actually experienced a horrendous chain of staus along that stretch. It was at night, in the rain, and the staus were only occasionally "relieved" by stretches of manic bumper-to-bumper races at full speed to the next stau. It was the worst driving experience of my life.

Google Maps says if I take route 10 north of A8 it only adds about half an hour. Maybe I could get on A8 and see if the traffic's heavy, and if it is, head cross-country to route 10?
First of all evading on a National Route in case of a jam on the autobahn will add much more traveling time than google map told you. You have traffic lights, speed limits and to go through villages. On top, in case of a congestion, many people try their luck on the national route.

There is no way in hell STR and Stuttgart HBf can be reached in 10 minutes by car.

Traffic on A8 is hell. I did Munich Stuttgart shuttles for a period of time. The instances were I needed more than 4hrs for the ride outnumber the less than 3hr trips. Perhaps when A8 building is finished and it is a 8 lane highway, but with the increasing traffice coming from east going west, I doubt it.

I would recommend against going to Stuttgart, you will be in the morning rush hour for most of the time.

Leave Oberammergau at 07.00, not at 08.00am. With the traffic right now, better safe than sorry. There are always congestions where A95 hits the town perimeter, also B2R is a nightmare because of all the congestion (expect your GPS mislead you, because of all the new built roads and tunnel). When you are lucky and arrive an hour earlier, you still can sent me rant emails.

Last edited by mamb0; Mar 9, 2010 at 12:32 pm