FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Quality of drinks and snacks going downhill?
Old Mar 8, 2010, 5:30 pm
AS Flyer

Originally Posted by thegeneral
There are two packs. Saying it is the second best seller really isn't saying much. You could also phrase it as being the worst selling pack that AS sells. Again, there are two. The olive pack is the defacto standard for vegetarians. How much it sells really doesn't matter much.

The new boxes are not good. A huge bag of chips with a small container of salsa is a bad pair. For the packs, you've taken what was one good pack, split it up and filled it with garbage. I really hate seeing things go downhill like that.

Whatever happened to the hummus pack? Was it too good? I was served it up front the other week. It would be a good replacement for, ugh, olives.

Is there someone at AS who manages all this? I imagine they have a chef somewhere. I'm guessing the person responsible for this has changed or did AS just outsource this?

I'm fully aware of what Tim's is, thank you. You shouldn't assume things. Did you know that Tim's uses MSG in some of its chips?

http://www.goodguide.com/products/22...o-potato-chips

Yup, you probably thought that no mainstream consumer product used this anymore.

Have a look in the store the next time you see people buying chips. Plain old nothing flavored chips don't exactly fly off the shelves. That combined with an excessive sodium level for people flying in a tin can with 10% humidity makes them a bad idea. Aside from making people want to chug 3 small bottles of water, it makes the meal a non-option for many who are sensitive to sodium. That of course ignores that carcinogens are created when you cook carbohyrates in fat at high temperatures. Mmm, nothing like some acrylamide with your burger.

There are better sides for an actual meal than plain old potato chips. It's unimaginative, unhealthy and AS could do much better. The burger is awesome. The things that come with it should be as well.

It's clear you just want to complain, and that's fine - we all need to do that sometime.

Just wanted to point out that there are actually FIVE picnic packs available of different varieties. Some are $3.50 and some are $6.00. The Tapas Picnic Pack sells quite well. Whether you like the olives in it or not - others seem to enjoy them.

As far as the burger goes, potato chips appeal to masses as a side. Every summer millions of people eat burgers and chips at picnics all over the country. I have to believe that many folks enjoy the combination. Short of selling fries with the burgers, I'm not sure what else you would suggest.