FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Miles for Toronto-Havana flight on AC?
View Single Post
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:30 am
ralfp

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by Scott6067
Also unless you have a non-US passport the airline officials at departure city have no reason to let you on the plane with an American Passport unless you have the proper exemption paperwork to fly to Cuba.
Really? Does the US deny overflight to AC aircraft carrying US residents w/o proper documentation?

Nothing here about such a requirement: https://www.continental.com/web/en-U...t/default.aspx

Originally Posted by Scott6067
I would think as long as one has the legal right to fly to Cuba that one could get the miles. Do those in the OnePass program flying CM into Cuba not get the miles?
From CO's site for Copa: "Travel Area for Mileage Accrual: All Copa Airlines-operated flights systemwide"

Originally Posted by sbm12
If you are not legally eligible to travel to Cuba then doing so via Canada is a bad idea. The airlines traversing the USA have to file a flight manifest with US authorities listing all passengers and their nationality. That can put you in quite a sticky situation.
I'll 2nd this warning (no personal experience or intent, just a feeling based on stories I've been told).

The US sometimes does seem to try to enforce the travel ban (IMO a stupid thing, but that's a debate for another forum). I was once driving into the US on A15/I87 and the CBP guy, after seeing all the stamps from "interesting" countries, asked me if I had gone anywhere else besides Canada (this was in a car with Mrs. ralfp and a bunch of ski stuff). After my initial , I realized what he was thinking. It took several minutes of questions about our ski trip to convince him that I had not gone to Cuba. No, I was not so stupid as to indicate that I knew what he was thinking; the word "Cuba" was never uttered.

If I had any interest in going to Cuba (I do not), I would only consider going there on a flight that did not come anywhere near US airspace and on a PNR without a US FF account (only foreign airlines and addresses) or any info connecting me to the US. I would not pay with a US-issued credit card, initiate the purchase in the US, etc. etc.

Last edited by ralfp; Mar 3, 2010 at 3:04 pm