FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - In danger of losing AA Gold (I don't fly enough AA)
Old Aug 1, 2001, 10:32 pm
daniellam

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
In danger of losing AA Gold (I don't fly enough AA)

I have recently acquired AA Gold status through the "Gold Challenge" by getting Q-points as a result of flying CX (Cathay Pacific in F/J class). [Not joining Marco Polo Club on CX due to the lack of domestic upgrades on AA (you earn mileage in Asiamiles which i think is a bad FF program), and outrageous mileage requirements for transpacific CX upgrades for Asiamiles members].

Since I live in Vancouver Canada, my AA options are limited as I don't even fly AA (I choose to fly CX 888/889 between Vancouver and New York instead of AA flights via DFW or YVR-JFK nonstop on AA as CX has superior F/J service [usually as part of a RTW ticket, so I don't pay full fare]).

As a result, I am not able to do the 4 required AA segments to retain my AA Gold status? Any suggestions on what I can do to have AA exempt me from this kind of hell? Or will I have to go on a "segment run" (while most people do mileage runs)?

I want to be eligible for upgrades on domestic AA flights (in case I have to fly to US domestic destinations for job interviews etc. in places like DFW, ORD etc.) without having to pay full fare. (which non-status members have to do)

[This message has been edited by daniellam (edited 08-01-2001).]

[This message has been edited by daniellam (edited 08-01-2001).]