FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Australia credit card fee
View Single Post
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:09 pm
jasonvr

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cordelli
I believe they won't support a dispute, I think the where permitted by law may be an issue. If I use my credit card at a gas station that charges a higher price for credit purchases (which out of principal I totally refuse to do) I have no right to dispute the credit card surcharge as the state laws permit it and some stations charge it.

Funny how they snuck that in when prices were flying, and never took it out when they came back down.
A) A stated cash discount is allowable and a huge loophole in the contracts. It essentially the exact same thing, they just have to phrase it properly.
B) As far as evidence, is there a sign at the Hilton that you can take a photo of (there was one at my Ayers Rock hotel) or is it itemized on the bill?
C) Nowhere on the US Visa or Mastercard site (that I could find) does it state anything about "except where allowed by law". They both just categorically state that surcharges are not allowed.

I'm not saying that this would work, but can it hurt to try?