FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA
Old Feb 28, 2010, 6:31 am
Mountain Trader

Originally Posted by brasov02
Not sure what you mean by "go figure" but I'll give it a shot...PDX-LHR on Continental award = roughly $100 bucks VS. PDX-LHR on BA award = nearly $400. If someone were to ask me which is the raw deal I would be forced to go with the BA one. Or as Glen Beck would say, "I think $400 is greater than $100." Go figure. (I would roll my eyes too but that's sort of rude.)
Like Glen Beck, simple answers for complex problems.

If the CO and BA miles cost the same in money, time and effort to obtain, your point would have merit. But the statements about BA being a good deal were in the context of the recent Visa offer. That offer is you get 100k miles for a $75 fee plus $2,000 of spending. With that, you get to LHR in C for the various surcharges and fees-stated at $312 above. That's more than the fees on a CO ticket (which you noted but seem to be ignored by most) but still great in my book. And for another 30k in spending, you get another C ticket to LHR for another $312.

Most of the whining about BA fees are by folks who seem to be new to the game, and have not taken the time to understand BA's program details. Step 1 of going after any offer is understanding what the offer really gets you. Only after that can you measure if it is worth it. The press articles about the coin deal, Mr. Pickles and all left the impression that someone is giving away free trips and all you have to do is fill out a credit card application. Thought and careful analysis are also required to see if a deal works for you.

If you think using hard to earn CO miles, paying their fees and receiving their service is a better deal, go ahead. It's your tea party.