FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Day in the Life of a FOM
View Single Post
Old Feb 25, 2010, 6:48 pm
hamptoninnsider

Programs: HHonors
People using reply all to tell everyone to stop using reply all was classic. One guy said "stop the madness". Reminded me of elementary school where everyone was shushing each other, getting louder and louder.

Working evenings are a lot less hectic and usually involves a lot of doing nothing. My hotel is very relaxed most of the time. This is today:

2pm - come in an hour early, chat with coworkers and morning manager who usually leaves before I come in

2:30 - check emails and surveys, cover desk while arriving reservations' rooms are checked and water/snacks are put in rooms

2:45 - cancel around 150 reservations for a local account, make another 35, sometimes it's the other way so I don't panic

3 - finish project from day before, replacing all wall lamp light bulbs

3:30 to 5 - chat with boss, discuss how to improve rooms, think of questions we want answers to during the brand conference, put together paychecks, answer questions from another Hampton about what we do to get such high scores, talk about how the online travel companies are trying to screw local hotels and towns

5 to 6 - check future reservations for anything that should be noted or corrected , do nothing

6 - take down flags due to high winds, make cookies, refresh coffee, eat cookies

6:45 to 8:30 - do nothing, check emails and surveys, post on flyertalk

It's a very slow night

Had this been a Monday it would also involve more payroll and tax work.

Not as exciting as your day. Through the night I will walk the property, picking up the trash and food people leave outside their door (call us people!) as well as keeping an eye and ear out for anything amiss. Other nights will involve more maintenance and cleaning projects. Since we have just one other person here there is little to manage, just making sure she does things right.