FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Review: Briggs & Riley Baseline 20" Exp. Wide Body– Smart Choice for Light Travellers
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:59 am
tfar

Louiswatson, a warm welcome to FT! What a great way to start your "career" here. The BR widebody is one of the most researched bags here. So your review is very valuable.

From what I read it is a very nice bag indeed. The only thing that bugs me with BR, and I've said so before, is the ousider handle system. For bigger bags it's a non-issue but for smaller bags I find it counter-productive. It takes up too much space on the inside and you have to downsize the entire case so that it still fits the required dimensions. A flat packing surface can easily be created by filling the space between the poles with soft items like t-shirts, socks or underwear. That space is also a very good place for chocolate (if you happen to travel to Switzerland ). Moreover it makes a magazine slip pocket on the outside back panel impossible. I find this pocket extremely useful on a carry-on and wouldn't be without it.

For that reason alone, personally, I would not go with a carry-on size BR rolling bag. A big bag, right away. A shoulder carry bag, no question. Just not a small roller.

For Europe duty the weight of almost any rolling bag is a problem because of their super strict regulations; on non-US airlines. But then again on European airlines checking a bag is free generally and the BR will survive that ordeal easily.

As far as the suiter goes, you may see that you don't really need it. Unfortunately one can zip off only one panel of the suiter so one might as well use it. I prefer a separate suit compartment with a three panel suiter that is completely independent of the bag.

However, all those are very picky personal concerns, and I am happy to hear you do like the bag.

One thing that would be super useful, Andrew did it for the Plat5, is to start a list of airplanes where it fits and doesn't fit in the overhead. E.g. does it fit in an MD-80, short side or long side? How about a 737? Or a small Airbus? I bet it does but it would be great to have a list.

Yesterday I was almost surprised myself to be able to fit a very well packed Plat5 into the long side, wheels first, of an MD-80. I had to use some bag English but it did fit. Nothing more embarrassing than having to give up on stowing your bag while the plane is still boarding.

Till