FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wings vs. Air Excursions
View Single Post
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:05 pm
akpilot71

Go with Wings

Wings will get you there if the conditions permit. Sometimes it can take a day or two but just be flexible when planning your trip. The flight to Skagway is breath taking - the ferry is boring. Wings flys Cessna 208 Caravans - very comfortable safe airplane. It is also IFR capable - won't help you getting into Skagway but will ensure you can always make it back to Juneau or a viable alternate. The Wings pilots are very conservative when it comes to making decisions in the weather - they won't hesitate to turn around if conditions deteriorate. I own an airplane and have been flying out of Juneau for years. I've watched both airlines operate and I've got to tell you in my opinion it's only a matter of time before Air Excursions twists some metal. Air Ex pilots get paid extra per flight hour which causes them to constantly push the weather. I've witnessed countless days when Wings and the other operators are on weather hold and Air Ex is flying right thru the clouds. They do this by abusing their Capstone equipment - They fly on instruments when they should be VFR. Air Ex planes rarely turn around. Anyone can dial up the Capstone and fly in bad weather - but it is illegal and flat out unsafe. All its going to take is one electrical failure on an Air Ex plane during marginal weather and your going to see Air Ex crash making the front page of the Juneau Empire. Mark my words --