FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Saving seats is becoming an epidemic! EarlyBird check in.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 7:17 pm
judolphin

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by pinworm
Let them try to stop me physically, and I will initiate a lawsuit against the pax and perhaps WN.
I really hope you try to do that to me someday. I truly do.

I really don't care if I "seem like a jerk".
Obviously.

I know EB has increased this practice, and in turn devalued the EB incentive for those "denied" their first available choice of seat by a saver.

EBCI is so rife with problems that it seems to have been rolled out as more of an experiment than a revenue source.

1: It is a product with monetary value that cannot always be necessarily delivered. Line jumpers and inattentive GA's lead to the person with A47 getting on before a person at A33 EBCI. Seat savers who buy one EBCI and attempt to save a seat for someone without EBCI...an issue WN seems to not know what to do about...render the product I purchased somewhat useless. Sure, no t24 pressure, but that's it..they ALSO advertise it as a better boarding position..which means nothing if seats are saved for people further back in line.

What happens when you run into real problems in your life?

This is the biggest non-issue on earth... well... at least since the Tiger Woods story broke out.

Originally Posted by ronbo83
I am an A-Lister but my CP is not so when I board I usually head for the "Love Seat" and hope no one will take it before my CP gets on. I have had many FAs remind me that I cannot save the exit row seat and if anyone wants to take it, the seat is theirs. I totally agree with this and if someone really wants the seat next to me bad enough, I will move to a different row so I can sit with my CP. I do kindly ask people if they don't mind, my CP is coming and I would like for them to sit here, but if anyone were to say they did mind, I would gladly go find another seat further back.

So in my experience, FAs have been very good about enforcing Exit Row seat saving, but not regular rows, which is fine with me. I also rarely see an exit row not be taken by through pax, BS pax, or A-List pax, so I am not sure how many EB pax are really getting these seats. Maybe you are just lucky enough to be on the EB heavy flights!!
I completely agree with your take on the situation. I'll save my wife/CP holder a seat, explain nicely that "I can't/wouldn't tell you not to sit here, but I'd like to save this for my wife if you don't mind." No one ever minds. If you do mind, I'll move, but you *are* a jerk, whether you care what others think of you or not.