FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Discussion about IC Amstel & Crowne Plaza Amsterdam
Old Feb 17, 2010, 4:33 am
jimthehorsegod

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Have decided to do last night at the IC as they have availability and the CPlaza is sold out
I also have decided to try the Rennasiance for a few nights as it has had a spectacular renovation and it too was sold out on the Saturday night in question.Not a big fan of the IC with their antiquated tvs,overpriced offerings and now reduction in benefits to RAs.The rooms are certainly nice enough if you are fan of the old world
If you're not a fan of the old world then it may not be to your tastes - but the IC Amstel is a classic hotel with wonderful history, and our suite (322 IIRC) was the possibly most beautifully decorated room I think I've ever stayed in, certainly amongst the chain hotels.

The TVs were almost brand new so they must be changing them, and I'm afraid the offerings are what they are - the restaurant is the best in the city, and priced accordingly. A poster in the stay thread tried the set price lunch in the brasserie and found it good value, but it's not as if tourists need much in the way of in-hotel services anyway, and accordingly those who do must cover the cost of providing them + margin for the hotel. The Amstel is not an especially big hotel by modern standards, but it's certainly a jewel in IC's crown. I've stayed in a fair few ICs but none have come close to the Amstel. YMMV, of course.

Originally Posted by stimpy
I saw that someone said they didn't get the 750ml bottles of alcohol for free on an award night, but really...
Actually they're mere 375ml bottles if I recall, and they were still on offer late December when we stayed (I think the rules changed 1st Jan.)

Quite right that they don't offer those if they don't want to, but complimentary minibar is a stated benefit, and with that I'd expect at least that they offer miniatures instead, which I understand they don't. That's cheeky and is a way of circumventing that requirement I would say.

Last edited by jimthehorsegod; Feb 17, 2010 at 4:35 am Reason: Even more exciting opinion