FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How my trip changed in a blink of the eye
Old Feb 16, 2010, 12:50 pm
headinclouds

Geesh, Not only have I endured a once in a century blizzard, but the rebooked flight to visit my brother in Ohio has me stranded during their current snow storm. 2 flight cancellations with Southwest in 1 week tests one’s patience since Southwest waits until the very last minute to cancel. I hate winter.

Regarding a couple of items mention in prior posts, I wish to expand and extend my remarks (as they say in the Capitol).

Not having special travel medical insurance was an oversight since I normally purchase it. I determined that the circumstances of this trip did not warrant a priority. I was staying the entire time in Singapore and my current health insurance had international coverage. Any problems could be easily coordinated with the blue world wide insurance office considering there was a specific note on my insurance card titled ‘overseas medical assistance’. That was a bad assumption. Even though the office is staffed 24/7, they cannot always act that quickly while I assume that the specialized insurance carriers can act quickly.

I agree that the costs appear to be nearly as expensive as the US even though the doctor in Singapore kept telling me that it would be more in the US compared to Singapore. Depends upon the contracted rate for the preferred providers in my network whether that is correct. I did have an extra day in the hospital and there is the 7% GST which is added to the bill. Not to mention the 3% credit forex rate. I’ll be happy if the amount billed is covered less co-pays and deductibles.

My treatment options were limited to one due to the circumstances. One option precludes flying for 2 months though there is only 1 procedure. I need a follow up procedure in about 2 months’ time. At least I’m only using 2 eye drop medications 2 times per day compared to the 4 different drops 4 times a day.

Lastly, I wrote this report to educate the many travelers on this site of the risks that may befall one while roaming the globe. I need to follow my own advice.