FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Kevin Smith (Silent Bob) and Customer of Size policy
Old Feb 14, 2010, 2:31 pm
SCGustafson

Programs: WN CP/AL, UA 1P, PC Plat, AA, DL, US, AK, HH, MR, OH, LQ, RD (thanks GSA City-Pair Prog/DTS)
Originally Posted by IAH Oil Man
SWA really needs to ease up. The responsibility should be with ticket counter and gate agents, people don't deserve to be humiliated by a plane full of people.

The fact that he few up to from Burbank without any problem reminds me what a lawyer told me one time, "It's better to not have a policy at all then a policy that followed only once in a while"...

I know that SWA is a very low cost carrier and I'm sure Kevin could have afforded a second seat if they had told him AT THE GATE or CHECK IN.

If SWA is so cheap they can't give a passenger of size an extra seat every once in a while, they need to have a seat at the gate and have questionable pax sit in it BEFORE they get on the plane.

The airlines must be unaware that obesity is now seen as a medical condition and ADA rules are soon to follow....

It's very sad, but it takes a large celebrity to expose the problem....
You may want to review WN's COS policy, because they do refund the extra seat fare if there are available seats on the plane. If the plane is full, then the COS's second fare is used since they are occupying a second seat. As for ADA rules, they do not apply to an air carrier, it is the ACAA (Air Carrier Access Act) which applies.

Last edited by SCGustafson; Feb 14, 2010 at 2:38 pm