FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Be wary of the corrupt police in Puerto Vallarta!!!
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:38 pm
jbart74

Programs: AA, HH, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Platinum, UA, DL, US
I chose to read the Op because my (gay) partner and I are headed there next week. I too think the OP is an over-reaction. As previously stated, there are no Miranda rights, no constitution similar to that which we have in the US, and I fully understand that prior to my trip. I have been advised to stay close to the resort after dark, as this is when most of these situations occur. While not one to be scared or intimidated, I am aware of the situation in Mexico right now, especially concerning the drug cartels and their war on the policia. I may venture out after dark on one or two evenings, but I will use a taxi to arrive and depart my destination for the evening. It's kind of like the few weeks I have spent in downtown Detroit. I call a cab to take me three blocks because getting murdered would just suck. If I want fresh air, I open the window of my secure hotel, in Detroit.

In Mexico, I will follow the same procedures, except I will feel safe by the pool, at the private beach club with private security, and in the other common areas of the resort. Our trips to the city will be mostly during daytime hours, taxied from resort to central market, etc. and back to resort. It costs about $3US for that taxi ride.

I feel bad for the OP, but a little planning and research could have prevented the entire situation. Mexico is NOT the USA. It's a good lesson to learn BEFORE you arrive, rather than on your vacation.