FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta buying Alaska Airlines?
View Single Post
Old Jan 31, 2010, 6:27 pm
Donna49

Programs: DL DM 2MM (NW+DL) FI Gold
Originally Posted by ANC
too much of a gambling game for me. You dont know what you will actually be flying on until it rolls up and you board. It could be a DL jet or it could be a POS NW jet repainted on the exterior with the same interior
Perhaps. I can only relate my own experience.

I have flown 7 trips out of SEA in Jan, all begining with DL 757s to ATL. There has never been a downgrade in equipment on any flight; everything SEA-ATL is 757 with the nice IFE system and onboard wifi.

As I knew I had a number of trips booked on DL, I bought a 30 day gogo (their wifi system) pass for $30. This has worked out extremely well. Perhaps I'm a wifi addict, but I have to say that I can get so much more done in-flight, that I now find this a booking priority.

On my last trip outbound, it was a DL flight with the full IFE package. As I was not upgraded as I had been on all prior trips (still, an aisle in an exit row) the avaiability of these services was nice.

This is something I did not miss until the return home trip, which was on NW from MSP. Upgraded, but no IFE, no wifi...just not the same.

Perhaps you just can't go back. I remember a few years ago, flying NW, thinking I don't need/want IFE; I'd rather read my book. Somehow, after multiple flights with in-flight wifi and/or IFE, it is just not the same.

I'm a Plat with NW for years, and I went into this merger with a great deal of trepidation. There is good and bad. The in-flight service with the IFE (incl TV and wifi) is great...having to deal with connecting thru ATL leaves a lot, a lot of lot, to be desired.

As others have said, DL needs to take care of this merger before moving on, and even thinking of AS.

AS has always retained independence from other carriers, and continued to survive. Above all, they have very strong flyer loyality, as this forum can attest to.

Whether DL and AS move closer remains to be seen. Still, interesting to talk about. I'd love to see the reciprocal upgrade agreement return. AS is a fantastic airline. and I'd hate to see that change with a merger.

My feeling is keep AS independent, but make it as seamlees as possible between AS an DL.

Just a final note. nwa.com ended today, and many of us NW FF's miss it. Compared to delta.com, nwa.com was fantastic.

As with all changes in life, there are the desirable and the less than desireable. I just take what comes along with my preferred carrier (NW...now DL); if really bad, I'll find a better airline, but for now I can live with the changes.

Last edited by Donna49; Jan 31, 2010 at 6:52 pm Reason: spelling