Old Jan 25, 10, 7:09 pm
youreadyfreddie

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by Mike1625 View Post
I just got back from a great weekend in New Orleans that would make all those on flyertalk proud of me. (Flight free from Delta dollars earned from taking a bump, to help me requalify for 2011, Hotel paid for by Harrahs, picked the Hilton, so my gold status got me free breakfast and a happy hour I made into dinner each night)

Getting back to being topical for this thread. Had a great time spreading the dollar coins throughout the Big Easy. I don't use them for things that I could have used credit, but I did find these great places to spread them around. I used them to tip the airport shuttle driver, hotel housekeeper and Harrahs waitresses. I used them to gamble at Harrahs (the cage took a roll or two at a time and turned them into paper money that is accepted at the tables). And, well, I used them to buy beers on Bourbon Street.

There was one extra benefit that was very nice. By packing a box of $250 in my carry on, my bag got lighter as the trip went on.
^ I continue to use them at small businesses where credit card fees on small purchases have more of an impact on the proprieter, tips, and I change a couple of bucks/day in the drink machine at work. I wouldn't recommend this strategy to our favorite African Grey who lives in San Diego, but in the quantities that I have, it's slow but steady. The people at two local Vietnamese restaurants seemed to take favorable interest in/notice the coins, and one lady called them "lucky" gold coins.