FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does having Expensive Checked Luggage increase chance of it being stolen??
Old Jan 22, 2010, 3:20 pm
tfar

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Setting aside is it more attractive to thieves, have you every looked at baggage handlers loading luggage onto an aircraft. Most bags are beat up within the first year. Fairly durable luggage yes, expensive luggage no. Would you buy a Porshe just to have your teenager bang into walls and guard rails?
Originally Posted by UKAAFAN
You're absolutely right. I can NEVER understand why those morons check in with LV luggage. I think it looks quite tacky anyway.

To be honest, if you do check in expensive (it's all expensive anyway) luggage and it it gets nicked, it serves you right for putting image before common sense.
+1 to both.

That said, I own a big Rimowa suitcase. The thing MUST be checked. Everyone knows that Rimowa gets banged up easily but withstands the abuse even if it won't look pristine anymore. The reason for getting it was that I wanted a light and sturdy hardcase solution. Could have bought an unlined Delsey or Samsonite instead but they didn't have the 4-wheeler. And frankly, the Topas just look friggin' awesome even with dings/

BUT one thing is clear. The Rimowa gets opened more than any other suitcase of mine by TSA. Wonder if they are are really looking for dangerous goods or just for expensive things to steal inside.

Till