FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Reliability/punctuality of German night trains?
Old Jan 15, 2010, 1:41 am
farci

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
My partner and I are thinking of taking a night train (DBB City Night Line) that originates in Rome and terminates in Munich. Scheduled arrival time in Munich is 630a (or 630) and the flight (Schengen connecting to non-Schengen at AMS) out of MUC is just over 4 hrs later. Plenty of time if the train is on time (or even up to 2 hours late) but how can one check the punctuality/reliability of these trains? We are on award BC tickets so are a bit concerned.

I was in a situation in 2000 where a DBB train along the Moselle (not a regional/local but not IC or ICE) just abruptly stopped in Koblenz and everyone was asked to detrain, and following train headed up to Cologne didn't show up (I've also been on badly-delayed JR Shinkansens so I've lost trust in the punctuality of DBB and JR).
I have no particular insight into this train's on-time performance but the words 'eggs' and 'basket' come to mind.

This train journey involves the rail networks of three countries over a distance of about 1,000 km so the potential for SNAFUs is significant. Why not take it the night before and relax in Munich over a leisurely breakfast?