FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - So Alaska has it's own FF program? No affiliation?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 1:26 pm
schley

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by wsucougarchick05
As COpltASgldPHX stated, you got your answers from jwright, but not spelled out word-for-word here on FT. Instead, jwright directed you to the Alaska Airlines homepage, which spells out the benefits of each partner with very little room for confusion, if you ask me.

...then again, I am a quick learner and even better at comprehension, so maybe that's why I don't see how someone could get confused reading it.

I think the reason why we don't have a FAQ here for AS is because the program is pretty black-and-white in the explanation on the website. I'd bet you cold hard cash that I could read it to my 5 year old neice and she'd be able to understand what's stated on the AS website in regards to the benefits to the Mileage Plan program.

There is this, but unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's been updated to reflect the DL/NW merger and the changes to the upgrade system that came with the merger.

As for evil PM's...I don't think there's a person in here who would deliberately send an evil PM to someone asking a basic question. When I first came to FT, my first post was probably the dumbest question in the history of FT...where to sit on a PDX-SEA flight...and no one send me evil PM's.
I respectfully disagree, should we simply get rid of all FAQ if this is the thinking. Simply give links to all websites. ^

Alaska doesn't have any alliance to fit into and thus one must piece together it's program and that takes more time than I think an FAQ could do it in. This program seems more complex than an airline in an alliance. I'm being honest as I have 14 years of college, 3 degrees, 4 different teacher certifications valid in 3 different states. I don't really care if the Alaska guru's make a FAQ or not as I don't fly Alaska but came here to help a friend decipher their FFP.

Referring people back to a weblink is warranted for forums with an FAQ or someone who obviously hadn't made any effort previous to the request. But this forum doesn't have it and to defend it's absence is easy for those who are already enlightened, but it doesn't welcome any newcomers. The figure it out yourself philosophy without an FAQ is discouraging.

In regards to the evil PM, I have only had 1 and coincidence it came from someone a couple days ago about this thread (definitely not any WSU cougars). I look forward to educating myself about Alaska and would happily contribute to an FAQ should anyone feel compelled to help out others. ^