FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Checked Baggage Fees Increase to $25/$35 (Effective 1/14/2010)
Old Jan 12, 2010, 3:17 pm
ORDUnitedMetal

Programs: UA 1K/ DL Plat HH Diamond, Hertz PC
It's nice to be an elite and see this. It certainly helps to avoid these nickle and dimes that other airlines are beginning to impose. However, when you spend thousands, hundreds of thousands, and millions on tickets the least they could do is let you check a bag for free.

I know I am a lowly 2P but already having 14EQS in the bank this year, I will never ever be able to go back to being a GM. Whether it be elite security, priority boarding, free bags, and E+ it makes it all worth it.

I was on CNN earlier reading the responses people are making about Southwest. There are things Southwest will not do that other airlines do. Also, SWA isn't always cheapest. I'll fly United and have them book me on another airline if I can't get out. SWA, will not book you on another airline. Also, earning miles flying over the pond is nice and easy, which SWA cannot do as they only fly domestic. Being able to book a window seat is nice, which I don't know how to do on SWA, but I know it involves checking in 24 hours before departure.

All in all, UA will match this as any company should do. I'm really having a tough time understanding peoples arguements on why airlines will be suffering becuase of this move and losing "tons" of passengers. Not quite! The elite passengers do not pay baggage fee's, therefore, this is only impacting the traveler who flies 2-3 times/yr. So, I do not necessarily agree with that arguement that they will be losing a ton of business. The elites will still fly and still pay the bill! It pays to stay with one carrier and those elites do and that's where UA makes a lot of their $. Oh yeah, for the person that has to pay 2-3 times per year, they'll buck up and pay it anyways as UA will be more competitive on the fare.

Thoughts? I know, very bold, but that's my $.02 cents!