FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Things that annoy me when I travel
View Single Post
Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:34 am
tlvancouver

Programs: WS Platinum 18K so far this year
Things that annoy me when I travel

Okay, so I have been noticing lately that there are more things that annoy me when I travel, and I know I'm getting older (mid 40s) but as someone who travels every week (normally Cdn domestic) it seems like there are no manners left.

I'm not sure any of these are specifically related to being female (so this may be moved), but here goes:

Not in any specific order:
  • loud talkers on cellphones in boarding lounges who don't have the courtesy to walk away from the crowd to shout into their phones - businessmen and late teens/early 20s women seem to be the culprits I encounter most often. My favorite is the business person who has a loud call discussing either their company or clients with their business card prominently displayed on their carry on - have spent time plotting revenge - maybe an email to their boss? (I know, I could move seats ...)
  • the parents of "adorable" children who persist in being inordinantly loud talkers, so that everyone within a 10 foot radius admires their little angel. As a mom of two I know that (medical issues aside) children hear perfectly fine, so there is no reason to impose your adoring parenting on all those around you
  • on the same note, I truly am sympathetic to a child or baby having a difficult flight, and am one to offer any help or empathetic glances - however, letting your over two year old child yell, play their electronics without headphones, kick the seat - that is just bad parenting. Air travel is captivity for a period of time, so please prepare your child that whatever rules you have at home may need to be even tighter in terms of respecting those around you.
  • please reconsider that massive dose of cologne the morning before the flight - no matter how nice it might smell to you, the majority of travellers I talk to say that they prefer clean scent free neighbors (especially in economy)

It may be that I expect too much, especially from economy, and I'm sure there are things I do that could annoy others but I'm curious about the experiences of others. What annoys you when you travel?