FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - hertz rental accident / wreck
View Single Post
Old Jan 8, 2010, 4:44 pm
chandi

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; QF 1P; DJ WP; CX DIA, EK GL, HH DIAMOND; PC Spire RA; SPG PLAT; HERTZ PC; Avis CC
Something Similar happened to me twice in 2008. The first was a small sender bender in a small town in Michigan US where a car tried to overtake me on the wrong side (right) while I was turning in to a driveway. Hertz car had no damage and the car that ran in to me had some substantial damage. Police took a report and Hertz contacted me a few months alter to get my version of the events. I did not hear back from them after referring them to the police report.

On a more serious note in Dec 2008 I had a some what serious accident with a Hertz car on the NJ Turnpike. Traffic in front of me stopped but the van behind me did not. Car was not drivable. The highway patrol arranged a (mandatory I think) tow, and Hertz organised a paid taxi from the tow compound to JFK (~$200). Hertz also came and picked up the car from the tow compound.

About 7 months later I head from Herz that said the driver at fault (charged by the police over the accident) is refusing to answer correspondence and I had to pay for the damage/costs. Contacted Amex (Amex's insurance provider actually) who offered a legal opinion that Hertz had to chase up the driver at fault.

After multiple faxes, phone calls and emails (not helped by the fact that Hertz was out of the US and Amex and the insurance provider was in Australia) the insurance provider agreed to pay the claim. I had to pay Hertz using my Amex and the insurance provider reimbursed me within 5 days.

My advice to you is to make sure you stay on top of all communication between your insurance provider and Hertz. This is because your contract is with Hertz and Hertz and the Insurance provider may refuse/unwilling to speak to each other directly.