FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Starbucks learns from the airlines: "enhances" Starbucks rewards
Old Jan 6, 2010, 3:43 pm
Landing Gear

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by riant
Thanks for the info! I got the gold card (REALLY gold in color) in the mail today and I had no idea there are so many restrictions. I go to Starbucks 4 or 5 times a week and mostly using my corporate credit card since I expense my meals. With these new rules, I wonder what's the best bet for me to utilize the rewards program, or maybe it just doesn't even make sense for me at all. Not sure how I can justify random $5 charges to the Starbucks card from the corporate credit card.
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
I tried to use my old black card this morning and the barista said it had expired... I couldn't remember only that I took it out in jan last year. Anyway when I got to office I checked online and it does not expire until 1/22. So BE CAREFUL!

I almost gave up on Sbux last year as it was getting too expensive. My Amex statement showed $1700 of spend with them in 2008. The 10% off for $25 was literally a tipping point in stopping me defecting to cheaper wares.

This year I've spent $1200 so the $25 gave me back around $133 (must have tolled up $1333 so after discount $1200). It's still a lot of money but taking the edge off the pain really helps.

I am thoroughly unimpressed with the new system. My typical week involves latte every morning and then on the weekend the family will pop in for a snack so usually couple of coffees, couple of milks for the kids and a couple of food items. So even if I game this to the max and pay for each item separately (and frankly I don't want to be the d**k in the store doing that) I'm going to be losing out.

Sadly for me there is not much alternative, but I will certainly be trying hard to find them
My "gold card," issued around July, 2009 is black in color.

I uge both of you (and everyone else feeling the same way) to make your displesure known to Starbucks. I have done so both by phone and via their Facebook page. You can also use the feedback section at starbucks.com.

ma91mph, with your spending level, they should be taking you seriously. And I agree; 10% off everything (e.g. coffee and cake) certainly beats one free drink every 15.