FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"
Old Jan 3, 10, 6:27 pm
StefanNYC

Programs: DL DM; UA; AA
Thanks OP for some great tips!

Last month I utilized a somewhat similar technique (by-segment search) to successfully book JFK-KBP in J for 100,000 on the very dates I needed (booked and flown within December), after hearing "nothing available" on the phone. It has actually never occurred to me to search for Y, and I didn't think of searching for one-way awards either -- only round trips with dummy dates in the other direction.

It looks like things tend to be wide open within Europe (well, they were in my case), so you really need to nail down the TATL segments first, and then add on the rest. That's how I ended up with JFK-SVO-KBP-CDG-FRA-JFK. [At the end of the day, due to multiple WX cancellations, I was actually rerouted to skip FRA and go CDG-JFK on AF.] The SVO-KBP segment was on SU, so availability couldn't be checked online, but I could care less (sure enough, it was available when I called to book).

... The award calendar is broken, sure. But you know what?.. I'd love to see it not repaired. Because if everybody gets to see all the "hidden" possibilities with one click, then the possibilities will go away very soon. The way it is, if only those of us who know a thing or two see them.... you know.
Cynical? My word for this is 'realistic'