FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - London to Asia and Australia in Y, Y+, C and J with Qantas and Cathay Pacific
Old Dec 30, 2009, 6:19 pm
matthandy

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Hong Kong

I’d been to Hong Kong only once before, and I enjoyed it but felt that it had more to offer. This time was different. I met up with a friend and his wife that had moved back to Hong Kong from London. Both were born and schooled in Hong Kong and spoke the language. I’d given them a brief, any restaurant that we went to I wanted to be the only Westerner there! They took me to a soup dumpling restaurant and ordered up a wide selection of dishes including the one and only soup dumplings (Xiaolongbao). God, these were mouthfuls of pure delight. A standard looking dumpling which contained a hot (temperature wise, not spicy) clear soup and a juicy pork base. I can’t describe it any better than to say that this was the single most delicious Chinese dish that I’d ever had. If you are in Hong Kong or mainland China I urge you to try these, just wait for them to cool down first!

In the morning we headed over to Mong Kok for a bit of man shopping. My friend and I spent the morning in and out of the electronics shops hunting for various bits and pieces. I was able to pick up a very cheap memory card and a new lens for my camera. It really is a joy to be able to this kind of shopping. Anything that you wanted could be found. My friend was an excellent translator, it definitely helped having a local by my side, because we were always taken seriously. The sellers knew that they couldn’t rip off the Western tourist!

The afternoon was spent at the Peak, after a hairy bus ride to get up there. Unfortunately the smog meant that it was difficult to get a good view.

View from the Peak

View from the Peak

In the evening we did the traditional thing and headed over to TST (Tsim Sha Tsui) to view the evening light show. As a special treat they were practicing for the opening ceremony of the East Asia Games which was due to open the following evening. This, along with the smog made it quite difficult to get any good shots of the harbour light show.

The Hong Kong skyline

Photographers along the harbour side

Light boats practicing for the East Asia Games

The next morning we’d decided to head out to see the Giant Buddha on Lantau Island and ended up spending most of the day there. It was truly an excellent day out. Besides from the Buddha the surrounds were very beautiful and there’s also a temple which is worth visiting.

Steps up to the giant Buddha

The giant Buddha

Peaks on Lantau Island

Laterns inside the temple

Incense sticks

The giant Buddha

In the evening we went back to the hotel and positioned ourselves in the Executive Lounge to watch the fireworks for the opening ceremony of the East Asia Games. They were truly spectacular and I’ll remember them for a long time. I’d never seen fireworks like that before. Smiley faces and letters were exploding in the sky with the shock waves literally shaking the glass frontage of the hotel. Amazing.

Fireworks for the opening of the East Asia Games

Fireworks for the opening of the East Asia Games

After that we headed out for a spot of night photography and then called it a day.

The streets around the Convention Centre

The next morning was spent first checking in for my flight to Seoul at the in-town check in located at Central station (more on that in the next post). After that we headed out into the city to browse the local markets around Central.

Laterns swinging in the wind

Incense coils

Overall

My visit to Hong Kong was truly memorable and full credit goes to my wonderful friends for playing tour guide and translator.

Last edited by matthandy; Nov 27, 2010 at 6:06 pm Reason: Update image location to resolve bandwidth issues