FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:35 pm
ChrisS_SYR

Programs: United 2P
LHR-IAD

Home now after hopping the pond this morning on UA-923:

The Bad: 1+ hour delay in LHR because of additional security pat-downs and complete inspection of carry-ons. Everything was opened and examined. For every single passenger. I don't think there were more than 18 pax in the front, while E was packed to the gills. Meh.

The Good: We arrived in time to catch our connecting flight, after a mad dash from arrivals down to the other end of C. The pilots must have had the throttle pegged to make up some lost time. IFE was turned on and everything was working. The maps on our seats in E+ was not working, but I noticed that it was working on several other seats. Aircrew made announcements when we landed and there were no restrictions (e.g., no stay-in-seat requirement, books and pillows and blankets in laps, reading lights were working, etc.), The aircrew was also exceedingly helpful and polite.

The Ugly: UA managed to lose 50% of our luggage (we each ended up with 1/2 of our checked bags at our destination) between us clearing customs and making our connecting flight. Bonus points for the claim tags not having been scanned into the system anywhere. My prized 1-liter of duty-free single malt languishes somewhere in the system, alone and in the dark.