FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Barra With Flybe & Europe With QF/BA (Pics)
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:11 pm
QF NB

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
14 October 2009
Barra - Glasgow
BE6852
Flybe de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter (G-BZFP)
19 Passengers including my Sister and I (19 seats with a 100% LF)

We arrived at the Airport well before the Aircraft was due to land it was effectively a ghost town. I was thinking that today we’d see a very low passenger load, however as time passed by, the terminal slowly filled with more and more passengers, by then it became apparent that today would see a full flight. The café opened and it did rather well, in terms of the amount of food sold. A number of people were waiting outside, cameras ready, preparing for the arrival of the Aircraft. As I had already checked-in, I too wanted to get some images of the aircraft’s arrival and was outside quick smart. The Twin Otter became visible in the murky sky and snap, snap, snap went the cameras, including mine. I was fortunate enough to take enough sequential images to show the aircraft from final approach to engine shut down.

As expected, the ground crew spun into action and began unloading baggage and freight. Barra Airport is akin to its smaller regional counterparts in Australia in that there are no security scanners or technologically advanced screening systems. Before boarding everyone was pat-down and we were asked to present the contents of our hand luggage. Not long after we were onboard where I was pleased once again to see the same Female FO that had flown me to Barra the day prior. I peered into the flight deck and much to my surprise saw a Female CPT. Having only ever had an all-Female tech crew team on a flight from Brisbane to Honiara, it was definitely a pleasant surprise, as I would later find out that they were excellent aviators, resulting in me having one of the smoothest flights ever, even factoring in the inclement weather.

The props were started and within minutes we were taxiing to the active runway for a quick departure that appeared to be to the south west (over the terminal).

The flight was once again uneventful; however I certainly appreciate the space we were afforded on the flight to Barra as it was rather tight with a full passenger compliment. As alluded to earlier, the tech crew need be commended for their excellent and professional flying. We passed through some inclement weather and much to my surprise we did not feel the slightest bump or jolt. Within an hour we touched down in Glasgow and were back with the family friend.

I am very fortunate to have had the opportunity to have travelled to the Isle of Barra, it is a hidden gem. It is disappointing that the weather was so drab, however having seen photos from the summer, I can appreciate that during the Summer months is the best time to travel to the region. The beach landing and departure was much smoother than I expected and the journey to/from the area very picturesque. I am fortunate to have been able to sample flying with Flybe and would definitely like to fly with the carrier again as all staff were consistently friendly, professional and warm. A job well done by the team at Flybe as far as I am concerned.