FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OT: Children in Lounge rant!
View Single Post
Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:33 pm
PUCCI GALORE
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
It's all about setting the boundaries and keeping to them firmly.

A few years ago when my youngest daughter was 4 years old we went to our local pub to have a nice Sunday roast. My daughter had obviously decided that to sit still for an hour or so was not her idea of fun so she played up. She wasn't disruptive or anything like that but she was still acting like a bi..ch so none of us enjoyed the meal.

In the car on the way home I told her she was in serious trouble when we got home. Once at home I explained very clearly that the meal had cost me a lot of money and she had spoiled the occasion for all of us... therefore I was going to make her pay for the meal. I asked her to go and get her money savings box and emptied it out in front of her. It only totalled about £20 so I asked her to go and get her Leapster (kiddies version of a handheld electronic game) because I was going to sell it on Ebay to make up the difference. She was distraught and really did learn a lesson that day. Obviously we didn't really keep the money and toy but she was made to believe that we had that day.

She has been an angel (in public anyway) ever since.
For innate common sense and for dealing with the problem sanely and soundly - that is the post of the year. Actually a Muccihood is up for grabs if you would accept.

Pardon me if I do not say more as the Righteously Indignant have yet to get into gear that their little Darlings would never ever behave like that and if they do - tough.

To the good soul who mentioned the Nannies - last week I had a Nanny in WT. I was instructed from the parents in CW - not asked - to bring her forward to change the 3 year old who was still in Nappies. I said that this would not be possible. I was then told - not asked - to get the child back to the Nanny. I told the Mother that this was something she would have to do for herself. If I was in F you'd have to do it - what is your problem.

In no class of service do we offer walk through service to people's servants I informed her. The Father got up and slammed back with the poor infant in tow. He'll write you up said Mother.

"Good" said I - I'll get you a Comments Card and a pen. My name is Pucci Galore. I got a call from the back. Nanny had attempted to change then child in the galley no less. Father was incandescent when I said that she would be changed in a lavatory and nowhere else. I was threatened with a law suit if the kid fell ill from what she might catch in there.

I was told that the used nappy was left lying on the floor. Charming. I told the Nanny to go back in and pick it up, Mother stormed in nearly smashed the door off and took her infant back up to the front and said that this would not be the end of the matter. My indifference threatens to overwhelm me.

Behind every ill mannered child there is a worse behaving so-called adult.