Old Dec 22, 09, 10:32 pm
moondog
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frugaltravel View Post
Thanks for the response! And thanks for pointing out another alternative of using my BA miles from DFW to NRT and using my AA miles (I currently have 40K AA miles) from NRT to SIN. ^^ However, when I tried booking a ticket from DFW to NRT thru BA website, it showed that I was short around 40K miles. I currently have 50K miles in the BA account. So, I need 90K to fly from DFW to NRT on an economy class. I was surprised it takes 90K miles to fly to NRT from DFW using BA miles on JAL while I only need 70K to fly to SIN from DFW using AA miles on AA and JAL.
You're still a bit confused, which isn't your fault.

So, allow me to spell out the way things should work:
-DFW-NRT should be 25k miles each way in Y, or twice that in C
-you should definitely be able to book the nonstop because it generally has great award availability
-but, you might have to call for it
-failing that DFW-ORD/LAX-NRT are also fair game
-the problem you're running into is that the flights BA is trying to push on you require 60k miles each way in Y

With regard to NRT-SIN, I would advise against using AA miles for that stretch because AA splits Asia into 2 zones (north and south), which would mean an expensive redemption for you. UA does the same, but its current award chart contains an error in which N. Asia to S. Asia is actually cheaper than intra-N. Asia.

Your other option is to follow Happy's advice and get yourself to LAX or SFO and fly the rest on JL metal. When I first got into this promotion, it was relatively easy to find JL flights on ba.com*, but that doesn't seem to be the case now. Even so, I'm pretty sure that there are still award seats on many JL and CX flights. In order to find them, you might want to create jal and asia miles accounts.... then, call BA.

*ETA: They are still easy to find, but only when selecting a non JL city (e.g. DFW) as an origin. This is actually good news because it proves that the JL flights are available in BA's world.

Last edited by moondog; Dec 22, 09 at 10:41 pm