FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mid-Atlantic US Winter Storm (Weekend of 12/19) and Impact to UA's Operations
Old Dec 22, 2009, 3:45 pm
Gorby

Location: Was once BA Gold, Fallen to BA Blue, and humble UA peasant
We were scheduled on the 918 (IAD-LHR) Sunday (after rescheduling under the waiver on Friday). We had a four month old and nothing prepared me for what I saw at IAD at check-in. It was worse than when I recall BA on strike a few years ago.!!!!

We were able to use the Premier check in but finding that line was a talent and then it took two hours to get to the desk. Many people didn;t know what to do, they stood in front of the touch-screens all in a frazzled mess, few agents who were working their butts off.

We tried to checkin using the chickens but failed as technically our flight had now closed. However the agents said they were told to check them in anyway as possible the flights would be held. Well, we were in security when our flight was due to leave. No text messages saying delayed so we assumed the worst.

We got to the gate and our prayers were answered. They were still boarding. We went to get our stroller checks at the desk and got an amazing surprise. We were op-upped to C with an infant. I had ruled anything like that out with our precious angel.

Well, we got out 90 mins later which was better than the other IAD-LHR flights that day and the cabin crew were brilliant. Only snafu with our kid was when "rolled out of the bassinet" (on the floor) and so she woke up the front C cabin. Other than that, she behaved extremely well.

Another pax described Dulles that day as so broken, nothing would fix it. Chaos theory at its best. I was impressed with the desk agents. They did what they could with people who were pissed at the start!!!

I knew there were reasons to try and retain my status. That day was one of them.