Old Dec 17, 09, 10:47 am
Stripe

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
My main focus each year is getting the 28 stays to retain Diamond status. Overall, that's the primary motivation for choosing Hilton properties. Apart from that, two things really affected my behavior...

1. Rate specials. The Asia 2-for-1 special this summer and the Visa 25% off promos yielded some very attractive "too good to pass up" rates. I know a stay at the Hilton San Francisco would not have happened if I had to pay a more "normal" rate. (However, even with the low rate I got I probably would have stayed elsewhere if I had to do it over again.)

2. The Q4 promo will definitely get me to do one more stay than I would otherwise have done, as it will get me the 25K bonus for every four stays. I got the 25K for my first 4 stays and this extra one would be number 8.

The promos where they simply throw more points at you for a stay are nice but as a motivation to stay at a HH property or not they are secondary to the factors above. The Q3 bonus theoretically rewarded the number of stays but the actual points you got was fairly small and the list of participating properties was limited.