FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it now Midworst?
View Single Post
Old Dec 17, 2009, 5:49 am
knope2001

Originally Posted by hazelrah
Knope your logic and facts are twisted to suit your premise that premium seating does not matter.
You simply don't like the conclusion. I've drawn ample evidence to support the hypothsis that premium seating is not correlated to higher average fare.

Can you refute that a significant fare premium remained in the Saver markets in the years since they changed from 2x2 to 2x3? Nope.

And since you can't refute it, then offer some plausible reason why it has remained. Please. Without another explaination, the only logical conclusion is that the premium service is not linked in a significant way to the fare premium.

Your use of market share to suggest otherwise willfully ignores the fact that market share in Milwaukee is overwhelmingly affected by Midwest's removal of the M80's last year for reasons other than declining demand. The market share stats are also affected by the decision of a major competitor to set up a connecting hub in Milwaukee and funnel large numbers of non-Milwaukee passengers through MKE.

Your premise is that it's the loss of premium serivce which has lead Midwest to lose market share in Milwaukee. I say that it is instead primarily the sharp reduction in capacity not related to reduced demand.

If people are running away from Midwest because of high fares and lousy service, as you claim, then why did they carry 20% more passengers in Milwaukee in October 2009 versus October 2008?

With the affect of the A319's starting to show in October, the comparisons will reflect even more favorably.

Originally Posted by hazelrah
Just as your worship Brian Bedford said
Well congratulations for being the first person to openly accuse me of licking Brian Bedford's boots. Hardly. Very nice of you to personalize this, though.

Note that I'm not saying Midwest's market share isn't down, I'm saying the reason isn't primarily the changes in service.

I'm not saying zero people have migrated their allegiance over to competitors. Of course not. And given the efforts of the competition coupled with last year's 40% capacity cut, it would be astonishing to think nobody had.

And I'm not saying that zero people ever paid a cent more to fly Midwest for their premium onboard product when a comparable flight (nonstop flight, similar time) on another carrier was cheaper. However this is and always was exceptionally rare, and is not resonsible for the revenue premium.