FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA
Old Dec 14, 2009, 4:57 am
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Originally Posted by benjiem1
Ok, forgive me for asking such a simple question, but I've read 30something pages and can't read 70 more tonight.

I know BA charges much higher fees and surcharges for using miles than, say, AA. Am I correct in my understanding that there's no way to use BA miles on AA on TATL flights? e.g., JFK-FCO? So I'd be paying a couple hundred dollars worth of fees on each ticket?

Just trying to figure out the true cost and value of these points, especially where my credit score comes into play.
You should be able to use BA miles for AA TATL, as long as you are not flying an AA flight between the U.S. and the U.K. So, for example, the AA nonstops between JFK and FCO, CDG, BRU, ZRH, etc., should all be redeemable with BA miles. Or you could use the BA miles on Iberia, and connect (or stopover) in MAD en route to your destination.

Edited to add: The italicized language appears to be incorrect. See posts 1501 and following in this thread. But BA miles can still be used on non-AA partner carriers (Finnair, Iberia, Aer Lingus) for TATL travel. My apologies for posting incorrect information.

Last edited by guv1976; Dec 14, 2009 at 11:15 am Reason: To correct an erroneous statement.