FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why is this board so quiet when there are thousands of Choice Hotels?
Old Dec 12, 2009, 8:53 am
toomanybooks
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jtaft
I'll offer three hypotheses with the understanding that they are, to varying degree, mutually contradictory:

1) The number of FTers that preferentially stay at Choice properties is small.
2) FTers have seen such wide variability within the Choice product, but incredibly consistent lack of response from Choice management when complaints are filed, so what is there to talk about?
3) The promotions from Choice are so weak relative to other chains at this point in time that FTers are focusing their attention elsewhere.

For me, personally, it's #3. I'd guess that for FTers at large, it's mostly #1.
Agree with all 3 to some extent, but sometimes Choice has had some great promos, if you are willing to stay in a $30-45 hotel. Conversion to WN credits to top off for a Companion Pass used to be awesome for me. But that's been a long time ago.

I'd add #4: Choice has made huge devaluations with little or no notice, for example here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choic...-july-9-a.html

A Flyertalker accidentally stumbled upon this devaluation; otherwise, none of us would have known about it in time.

I understand that companies will devalue, but if I've spent months or years piling up points for something, I expect to have a chance to redeem at roughly the rate I thought I was going to get. If a company keeps burning me, I will head elsewhere. My Choice stays are nil at this point, and the Choice Visa is in the sock drawer.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Dec 12, 2009 at 9:00 am