FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Luxury Hotels Forum "Presidential Suite Lounge" -- All Welcome!!
Old Dec 2, 2009, 3:17 pm
luxury

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
First, allow me to formally (re)introduce myself.

I have been travelling, literally, all of my life. I have been aboard some sort of aircraft since I was one. Below are the formative travel experiences which have shaped who I am now and the kind of travel I do:

My parents entertained constantly and we were either hosting, or invited to, dinners at Chartwell at the Four Seasons Hotel in Vancouver. I practically grew up in that restaurant, and other fine dining rooms in the city.

At age 13, I got to choose one of the hotels we got to stay in on a family trip to St. Johns, Newfoundland. I chose the Radisson and it was the best hotel of our trip.

At age 15, I won a Japanese government scholarship to go to Japan for one month with other Japanese speaking youth from the Americas. I was able to fly Japan Airlines Executive class for the first time -- so hard to go back to Economy after those flights!!

In University, I went to a Model UN conference in Montreal and stayed at the venue hotel which was the Westin (now the Omni). Was *so* impressed with the fact that whenever I picked up the phone they knew who I was. Now, I laugh at how stupid I was not realising that they had caller ID.

My first trip to New York myself, at 22, I chose my accommodations and after requesting practically EVERY hotel to send me a brochure I chose the Waldorf Towers. The Waldorf Towers is now my home in NYC.

The following year, we had our first and second Four Seasons Hotel stay: the FS Philadelphia and the FS New York. We also had our first disaster stay, at the Willard Inter-Continental and led to me learning the art of giving feedback to a hotel.

We feel we learned the ropes in NYC as a few years later we went to France and really had our eyes opened. NYC was our training ground which led to a fantastic 3 weeks in Paris. Here we tried palace hotel and Michelin starred restaurant after palace hotel and Michelin restaurant. We also found the hotel we still consider to be the BEST in the world -- the Four Seasons George V.

Our travels have taken me to Asia, Europe, and recently, a lot to the US. We still try out luxury hotels but we have become wiser and focus most on value -- that is, what is most valuable to us at that time. This may mean a $50 rate at a nice hotel in Las Vegas all the way to 1500 Euro a night at a palace hotel in Paris....

Having joined FlyerTalk almost 6 years ago was also a key point in learning about travel. When I first joined, the Air Canada Aeroplan forum was my home. Now, this board is my home. This is the board from which I have learned so much -- it is only in the last few years I learned of Virtuoso and Four Seasons Preferred Partner -- and my desire is to try to give back to the board I have learned so much from.

Oh, and I am still trying to find a hotel better than the George V.